TIPS ON PET PROOFING FOR THE HOLIDAYS
Treats designed for pets are always better than “people food” for your pet. Remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs.
Tinsel and ribbons can choke pets that often enjoy chewing on it.
Needles from live Christmas trees can lodge in the throat and make swallowing difficult. Drinking the water for live Christmas trees can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and mouth sores
Electrical cords can burn and shock an animal – bitter tasting solutions can keep pets safe, with cats – orange scent is a good repellent. Always use a solution designated safe for pets.
Mistletoe berries are poisonous to pets.
Pets are more sensitive to cold than humans, especially older or younger animals; extra bedding is a good idea. Be sure your dog house is the right size for your dog, small dogs freeze in big dog houses as a dog heats its house with its own body heat.
Winter is a time for antifreeze – this solution is lethal to pets, be especially careful with spills if you have outdoor animals.
If you aren’t going to be home for the holidays, consider pet sitters or boarding for your pet. If you are leaving your pet at home, make sure to leave plenty of food and water as well as warmth.